➪ John Donnes Poetry Read ➲ Author John Donne – Thegreatwallonline.us

John Donnes Poetry The Texts Reprinted In This New Norton Critical Edition Have Been Scrupulously Edited And Are From The Westland Manuscript Where Possible, Collated Against The Most Important Families Of Donne Manuscripts The Cambridge Belam, The Dublin Trinity, And The O Flahertie And Compared With All Seven Seventeenth Century Printed Editions Of The Poems As Well As All Major Twentieth Century Editions Criticism Is Divided Into Four Sections And Represents The Best Criticism And Interpretation Of Donne S Writing Donne And Metaphysical Poetry Includes Seven Seventeenth Century Views By Contemporaries Of Donne Such As Ben Jonson, Thomas Carew, And John Dryden, Among Others Satires, Elegies, And Verse Letters Includes Seven Selections That Offer Social And Literary Context For And Insights Into Donne S Frequently Overlooked Early Poems Songs And Sonnets Features Six Analyses Of Donne S Love Poetry And Holy Sonnets Divine Poems Explores Donne S Struggles As A Christian Through Four Authoritative Essays A Chronology Of Donne S Life And Work, A Selected Bibliography, And An Index Of Titles And First Lines Are Also Included

➪ John Donnes Poetry  Read ➲ Author John Donne – Thegreatwallonline.us
  • John Donnes Poetry
  • John Donne
  • 20 March 2017

10 thoughts on “John Donnes Poetry

What is it that infects the iconoclasts What is it unrelenting that they cannot be the same John Donne was a colossus, straddling the channel To be born English and Catholic meant he never had a unified identity Sometimes it troubled him, but to be no one man became his greatest gift Most people are never forced to look beyond their place and their lives That place itself may be challenged, and success is never assured, but to strive to become someone out of being so strongly no one is another type of success.It taught him joy in the world It taught him of the simplicity of joy that it is always a small thing and turns about and about on a single word It stretched him out along a continuum with two opposing sides that could never be opposite concepts, and only found their conflict in the blood and flesh of men.I might say it is no wonder that he was the man who tried to imagine a speck of dust that spans the universe I might say it, but it would not be true Donne is a wonder and he is a wonderer In that sense, he creates himself He may be this, or he may be its opposite That he was born a Catholic and died the Anglican Priest of St Paul s Cathedral is not a change of identity for him, but rather a simple turn of phrase Why shouldn t a poet s life be a poem We might ask what mark could stand betwixt the caesura of a man s change of heart The mark is Metaphysics, which has doggedly followed him ever since.There is a Shakespearean accessibility to Donne, in that he never places himself squarely behind any particular idea Indeed, he is defined by his ability to question than answer He also bears some resemblance to the bard in his use of low humor, which combines with his holy works to span most of human experience.However, there is often little accessible about his conceits, which are complex, intellectual, and many layered Unlike Shakespeare, Donne tends to challenge the reader though the argument of medium may stand here Like Pope, there is the sense that Donne is sharing a joke with you, and there is satisfaction in it However, it is often less likely to be entirely a joke as a conceptual and philosophical exploration.Taking his cues from the consummate Petrarch, Donne builds a language and a world of poetry like the crafting of a philosophy However, finding himself too uninhibited to match the singular drive and form of Petrarch, Donne leaves us instead an open book, where every confirmation undermines itself, and to withhold becomes, itself, a passion.

Let me start by saying I enjoyed John Donne s Holy Sonnets as much as his sexy romps, and I hope to discuss both as well as the less interesting verse letters and songs with equal fervency and attention, but for now I want to talk just about the sexy romps.Mostly, Donne is a hoot, a dirty dawg In Elegy 4, the narrator decides he will be moral by refusing sex with a married woman in her husband s bed and instead here s a great improvement finding a different bed in a different house in which to sleep with her In Elegy 6, the narrator basically tells a virgin woman, If we have sex now it won t hurt so much with your husband later on, whenever he comes along 33 In Elegy 7, the narrator says he will serve his country better by staying home and having sex with his wife than going off to war Elegy 8 is all kink, snuff, and keepin it rough, a veritable striptease, if you will the man on the bed with the school girl fetish gives the woman before him both elevator eyes up and down and X ray eyes in and out and does so through the lens of sexual colonialism, the woman s body a land to be conquered If I asked my secondary students to translate any one of Donne s elegies into contemporary language, as I have asked them to do with Romeo Juliet in the past, I would first close read my district s curriculum guide and my union contract The poetry is definitely explicit This is not to say it isn t or can t be romantic In Elegy 14, Donne writes, So we her airs contemplate, words and heart And virtues but we love the centric part Her swelling lips, to which when we are come We anchor there, and think ourselves at home And sailing towards her India, in that way Shall at her fair Atlantic navel stay 43 Romantic, right I thought so, but then the dawg ruins the romance or rather, transforms it into bar talk with an OMG did he say that about a woman punch Thou shalt upon another forest set Where some do shipwreck, and no further get When thou art there, consider what this chase Misspent by thy beginning at the face 43 That s right Why waste time lingering on a woman s face For this narrator s voyage, true north is the southern part of the body The woman s brain and eyes and mouth are not body parts worth visiting Odysseus longed for Penelope because he wanted to copulate, not converse Donne has a knack for being explicit on one page and then ethereal on another On page seven he writes of the goal To out swive dildos, and out usure Jews two pages later he s analyzing the syntax of the Bible Each day his beads, but having left those laws Adds to Christ s prayer, the power and glory clause When he describes the boils of venereal disease 26 , it is clear he can write with utter familiarity about the grime and grit of life, and about genital itching, but he s not exempt from good ol sentimental moralizing but oh, we allow Good works as good, but out of fashion now 9 Which was actually a good point Has anything changed over time The I read, I didn t really think so.Example 1 Donne writes, By thee the greatest stain to man s estate Falls on us, to be call d effeminate 29 , and from what I hear in the hallways at my school, it s true When men insult other men, they call them female Example 2 Donne writes, Or let me creep to some dread conjurer Which with fantastic schemes fulfills much paper Which hath divided heaven in tenements 25 , describing a shady character who prays on others A salesperson with a safari hat and walkie talkie selling time shares in Mexico, perhaps Or maybe a luxury waterfront penthouse suite at the Edgewater Hotel Example 3 Donne writes, in a showcase of dirty wit Like sun parch d quarters on the city gate Such is thy tann d skin s lamentable state And like a bunch of ragged carrots stand The short swoll n fingers of thy gouty hand Are not your kisses then as filthy, and As a worm sucking an envenom d sore Leave her, and I will leave comparing thus She and comparisons are odious 27 , a kind of one ups manship characteristic of a string of Yo Momma jokes, but from only one man This dirty dawg doesn t need competition He ll compete with himself Ten pages later, he writes, Though all her parts be not in th usual place She hath yet an anagram of a good face 37.

Jack the Rake s poems get me hotter than the kitchen oven, but then I turn to the end of the book and I m broken, blown burned, and made new again by some serious holiness.

SONG.by John DonneSWEETEST love, I do not go, For weariness of thee,Nor in hope the world can show A fitter love for me But since that IAt the last must part, tis best,Thus to use myself in jest By feigned deaths to die.Yesternight the sun went hence, And yet is here to day He hath no desire nor sense, Nor half so short a way Then fear not me,But believe that I shall makeSpeedier journeys, since I take More wings and spurs than he.O how feeble is man s power, That if good fortune fall,Cannot add another hour, Nor a lost hour recall But come bad chance,And we join to it our strength,And we teach it art and length, Itself o er us to advance.When thou sigh st, thou sigh st not wind, But sigh st my soul away When thou weep st, unkindly kind, My life s blood doth decay It cannot beThat thou lovest me as thou say st,If in thine my life thou waste, That art the best of me.Let not thy divining heart Forethink me any ill Destiny may take thy part, And may thy fears fulfil But think that weAre but turn d aside to sleep.They who one another keep Alive, ne er parted be.

I read these poems in high school and had a really, really hard time with them I honestly have never gone back to them but perhaps I should I guess if I read Milton s Paradise Lost Gained, I will also reread Donne who was roughly his contemporary I do recall him being highly quotable though

No man is an island entire of itself every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main Any man s death diminishes me because I am involved in Mankind and therefore never send to know for

Perhaps that is something we need to take to heart now in these times of division and public displays of hate and intolerance We are all human and we need to accept all humans as they are and not as we wish them to be.

I read eleven poems, plus the 16 sonnet sequence Holy Sonnets for my bookclub.I thought To His Mistress was quite sensual Could you imagine having all of that stuff to take off girdle, breastplate, busk corset , gown, coronet, shoes He says unpin and Unlace yourself I m so glad I don t have to go through all that to get undressed each night In Valediction Forbidding Mourning I really liked the analogy of the compass for a married couple John Donne wrote this to his wife as he was leaving for Europe They were like a compass she was the fixed foot Since they were one flesh, while he was away, their soul would expand Like a compass she would remain in place but lean towards him while he was away Then she would straighten as he returned.I found the Holy Sonnets quite interesting What a difference from his earlier works, eh Of course, Death Be Not Proud is a triumphant poem I ve always loved it Death should not be proud because some day it s going to die I ve always had that comfort that at the moment of death the victory is won Sometimes we have the idea that when someone loses their battle with cancer or other illness, they ve lost But at just the moment they ve lost the battle, they ve won the war through faith in Christ.The poem called Spit in my face you Jews is interesting.My sins, which pass the Jews impiety They killed once an inglorious man, but I Crucify him daily, being now glorified.At first I was wondering where he was going with this it started out sounding like he was going to bash the Jews, but ended up with him convicting himself Good one.

Had to read some of Donne s poems for the literature class I m taking this semester, we also had to read Shakespeare and I think I enjoyed this yeah I know, shocking Here s a poem that I ll be reading to the first person that I fall in love with The Good Morrow.I wonder by my troth, what thou and IDid, till we loved Were we not weaned till then But sucked on country pleasures, childishly Or snorted we in the Seven Sleepers den Twas so but this, all pleasures fancies be If ever any beauty I did see, Which I desired, and got, twas but a dream of thee.And now good morrow to our waking souls, Which watch not one another out of fear For love all love of other sights controls,And makes one little room an everywhere.Let sea discoverers to new worlds have gone Let maps to other, worlds on worlds have shown Let us possess one world each hath one, and is one My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears, And true plain hearts do in the faces rest Where can we find two better hemispheres Without sharp north, without declining west Whatever dies, was not mixed equally If our two loves be one, or thou and I Love so alike that none can slacken, none can die.

Three stars for the commentary articles in the back Just don t really like Donne Sorry but I don t particularly enjoy reading graphic sexually derogatory depictions of women.

I had to read this book for my university course on John Donne and although poetry is definitely not my favourite genre, I liked this collection Having also studied the author s life and his way of writing, made me appreciate it even .What really got to me, was the new and different way he wrote women He didn t idealise her the same way the Petrarchan poets did Sure, everything she did was based on his actions and his perception of her and she was never given a voice Still progress